Posted in Baking, Bread, Breakfast, Dessert, tagged Baking, Bananas, Bread, Breakfast, Dessert, Nuts, Quick Bread, Whole Wheat on February 4, 2009|
14 Comments »
We’ll be heading out to go skiing tomorrow, so things will be quiet around here for a week or so. I leave you with this recipe…
This recipe makes a moist and flavorful loaf again and again. And can you beleive it’s 100% whole wheat? Serve warm or at room temperature slavered with butter, or spread with cream cheese.
:: Banana Nut Bread ::
Adapted from The New Best Recipe
- 2 cups (8 ounces) white whole wheat flour
- 1¼ cups walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped coarse
- ¾ cup sucanat, rapadura, demerara or granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3-4 large, darkly speckled bananas, mashed well (about 1½ cups)
- ¼ cup whole plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Extra banana, for garnish, optional
1) Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and nuts. In a medium bowl, mix the mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla until well blended. Gently fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula just until combined. Batter with be thick and chunky.
3) Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Garnish with slices of banana if desired. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, about 55-60 minutes.
4) Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes. Gently loosen the edges with a knife. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes one large loaf
Read Full Post »
Posted in Baking, Bread, Breakfast, tagged Baking, Fruit, Honey, Nuts, Pear, Quick Bread, Spice, Whole Wheat on September 23, 2008|
5 Comments »
What a wonderful match of fall flavors! A while back Mom bought two lugs of pears, and we have been patiently waiting for them to ripen. Now they’re ready, and we have to deal with those two lugs of pears. NO problem! We froze some, dehydrated others, and turned them into jam. And I couldn’t help but put them into this scrumptious loaf!
: : Honey Pecan Pear Bread : :
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (9.5 oz) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled pears
- 2/3 cups chopped pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8 x 4 x 2-in. loaf pan. In a large bowl, combine honey and butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream and vanilla; mix well.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cardamom and cinnamon. Gently fold into the wet ingredients just into moist. Fold in the pears and pecans.
3. Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven for 60-75 min or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with butter, cream cheese, pear jam, or a combination.
Read Full Post »